In-Orbit Test Systems
Test Satellite Payloads Efficiently And With High Accuracy
Calian Advanced Technologies In-Orbit Test (IOT) Systems provide the full suite of tools you need to effectively test satellite payloads immediately after launch and during routine operation of the satellite.
Calian offers a standard IOT solution for typical payloads, with the ability to customize the system for any unique satellite payload features.
Comprehensive Test Capabilities
Suitable for bent-pipe transponders and complex digital signal processing communication payloads
Available for all bands – UHF, L, S, C, X, Ku, Ka and V-band. Multiple band testing using multiple antennas for cross-links is supported
Built to test basic GEO satellites and multi-spot beam high-throughput satellites. Testing is also available for LEO and MEO satellite constellations.
- Live measurement results window displays the results of measurements as they occur.
- High quality measurement reports and plots can be exported in PDF or CSV format for inclusion in IOT test campaign reports or used in off-line data processing and analysis.
- Results history window allows the user to search for previously measured results.
- Mimic window dynamically updates to display the status of test instruments
- Provides low level control of instruments to perform ad-hoc measurements
- Database table editor allows satellite data, measurement station data and measurement parameters to be defined
- Sequence editor defines the series of tests to be run according to the IOT test plan
Comprehensive Suite of Measurements
Our IOT system includes a comprehensive set of measurements for satellite testing.
The standard list of measurements is:
- Gain Transfer Curve
- Frequency Response (in-band and out-of-band)
- Satellite Gain
- Translation Frequency
- Satellite G/T
- Group Delay Response
- Crosspol Isolation
- Third Order Intermodulation
- Spurious Outputs
- Beacon EIRP, Frequency and Modulation Index
- EIRP in a Bandwidth
- Uplink a Signal
- Antenna Patterns
- Slew Method
- Point and Hold Method
Additional measurements available are:
- Phase Noise
- AM/PM Conversion and Transfer
- Noise Power Ratio (NPR)
- Spread Spectrum Satellite Gain
Calibrations are a critical part of the IOT measurement system to ensure the accuracy of the measurements.
The following calibrations are included in the standard IOT system:
- Downlink Gain Calibration
- Uplink Gain Calibration
- Cold Sky Noise Calibration
- Signal Analyzer Calibration
- Power Sensor Zero
Our standard IOT solution includes an extensive list of measurements and operational features, but custom features can be accommodated as needed.
In recent projects, we have developed customizations to:
- Interface with a telemetry system to collect and record telemetry with measurement results
- Interface with a payload configuration system to automatically set up the dynamically controllable payload channelization
- Integrate a radiometer interface to include rain attenuation in measurement results
- Automatically retrieve orbital state vector information from a flight dynamics system
- Exchange information with a LEO satellite pass planning system