Calian offers composites-specific engineering, metrology, and project planning services, right through to full component prototyping with production of final products and assemblies.
We specialize in the design and production of high-precision carbon epoxy antenna structures, and we are moving into new markets that can take advantage of composite structures that are rustproof, corrosion-resistant, durable, and have a high strength-to-weight ratio. We can build to any specifications and design, using your specs or our in-house team of engineers.
Projects: Prototype & Production
Learn more about the types of projects we're currently working on and examples of some prototypes and products we have recently completed.
6m & 10m Prototype
- 6m & 1Om Q/V frequency band prototype antennas
- Designed and developed in Saskatoon using carbon fiber epoxy structures
- First verification over satellite of high-frequency antenna technology
- 1Om Q/V frequency band production antennas, pilot plant production online in early 2020
- Producing 1Om antennas currently being deployed in the United States
- 14m Q/V frequency band prototype antenna, designing next large aperture antenna
- Expanding product line
- 14m Q/V frequency band prototype antenna
- Designing next large aperture antenna
- Expanding product line
Engineering & Technology
Calian Composite's engineering capabilities embrace the use of industry-leading CAD, FEA, and metrology packages, as well as incorporate state-of-the-art methodologies to break new ground in our designs.
Our facility is equipped with <25μm 3D spatial positioning tools and high precision metrology equipment, allowing us to achieve tight tolerances and validate those tolerances are maintained during production.
We use high-precision software and lab equipment to verify our designs throughout the product lifecycle, in order to minimize costly redesigns and maximize product performance.
Material Testing Laboratory
- Two-sided composite layup & infusion table
- Ultrasonic test machine for void analysis
- Viscosity, mass, and adhesion test equipment
- Environmental chamber
Metrology & Precision
- FARO & API laser trackers, FARO arm
- Two 6-axis hexapod positioners
- Custom built positioning fixturing
Jig & Tooling Manufacturing
- In-house infused carbon epoxy tooling
- Rapid prototyping and reverse engineering
- Custom aluminum, steel and carbon composite jigs
- Industry-leading engineering modeling and simulation package
- FEA for composites using ply-based or zone-based modeling
- Static, dynamic, buckling, thermal, modal, and adhesive analyses
- Flat pattern generation
Manufacturing Assets & Capabilities
Calian Composite's manufacturing processes are incorporated early in the conceptual design phase to ensure manufacturability throughout product development.
Our talented team of mechanical engineers, design analysts, technicians, and composites fabricators develop products that both meet customer design requirements and our end-user expectations.
Composites Manufacturing Facility Details
• Reconfigurable manufacturing facility with 30,000ft² manufacturing space
• 5-ton overhead & 1-ton jib cranes
• Large paint booth—14’ x 28’
• Post-cure oven—8’ x 8’ x 20’
• Product-specific post-of-use manufacturing instructions and part quality documentation and tracking
• Established list of qualified machine shop partners
• In-house capability for design and fabrication of customized production jigs