“The training Calian provided turned into mission rehearsal and operational readiness training. We were suddenly getting people ready for combat operations, where the training that we did could actually save lives.”
Jerry Johnston, VP, Training and Engineering Services, Calian
Preparing Canada's Soldiers for Combat Operations
Calian proved itself to the Canadian Armed Forces in the mid 1990s, delivering constructive simulation training. Putting command personnel fresh from the classroom through their paces to ensure they can put what they have learned in to practice takes time and money. The Canadian Army wanted to carry out this command and staff training without having to stage large exercises that involve putting thousands of people in the field for war games.
Constructive simulation training achieves the same result by simulating troops, vehicles and weaponswithin a digital battlefield. Dozens of people can be tested and trained at a time without having to put an actual army in the field.
Providing this kind of training took on a whole new meaning when Canada deployed to Afghanistan. From 2005 – 2011, DND relied on Calian to help prepare Canadian military task force headquarters personnel to deploy into high-intensity combat operations within Kandahar Province, Afghanistan.
Getting the Job Done, Whatever the Need
It was this kind of trusted expertise that led to Calian’s involvement into a number of diverse contract opportunities with DND, with some examples including:
- Aircraft maintenance and repair training
- Training for communications systems, network management, electronics, and cryptographic communications equipment at Canadian Forces School of Communications and Electronics
- Research assistants for Royal Military College in Kingston, ON
- Various vehicle maintenance contracts across Canada for everything from trucks to Leopard tanks to light armoured vehicles
- Provision of project management and support on such programs as the Maritime Helicopter program and Royal Canadian Air Force’s Airworthiness group
- Calian’s expertise extends into the emergency response planning and security domain in support of the broader public sector. For example, Calian’s 2010 Olympics Exercise Design received the Privy Council Office Exceptional Achievement Award, an honour that no other civilian company has ever achieved.
- Operating a radio station out of Kingston for broadcast in Afghanistan