About the role:
We are currently looking for someone to join the Calian team to provide Geographic Information System (GIS) support to our client at the Royal Military College, with the Environmental Sciences Group (ESG).
ESG is part of the Chemistry and Chemical Engineering Department located at the Royal Military College of Canada. Since 1989 they have played an important role in some of the most complex environmental cleanups in Canada. Working in the most remote areas on Earth, using processes developed by our researchers, we have become a leading authority on the investigation, remediation and monitoring of contaminants in the environment.
ESG is using Geographic information system (GIS) technology to support the environmental management of federal landowners. To this end, there is a requirement to convert existing spatial and non-spatial environmental records into an Esri/ArcGIS platform. The individual will work under the guidance of an experienced GIS technician and report to the ESG Program and Operations Manager.
Other responsibilities include (but not limited to):
• Extract relevant environmental data from Microsoft Access, Excel, Word and PDF documents into Micorsoft SQL Server and/or Esri Geodatabaseformat
• Classify environmental data into spatial and non-spatial categories for loading into the ArcGIS platform
• Implement QA/QC procedures to ensure quality data is transformed and loaded into databases
• Produce scripts for data loading, transformation, and extraction using either SQL, Python/ArcPy, or Esri’s ModelBuilder
If you're still interested, you must possess the following:
• Degree or Diploma in Computer Science
• Programming experience
• Microsoft Access experience
• Script writing using Python or another computer language
• Ability to obtain a Government of Canada Enhanced Reliability Security Clearance
• GIS experience
• Graduate certificate in GIS or Data Science
Type of Assignment:
Become a part of the Calian team and join over 3,000 professionals working on projects that span Canada, U.S. and international markets. Our capabilities are diverse enabling us to offer professionals career opportunities within business and technology services in health, training, engineering and IT services as well as within the design, manufacturing and maintenance of complex systems to the communications and defence sectors. Founded in 1982, Calian is a Canadian company that is publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange (CGY).Calian values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. Calian is committed to being responsive to the diverse needs of its members, employees, and others, by striving to prevent and remove systemic barriers. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and we welcome applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity or expression and others who may contribute to diversity of our organization. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. We will provide accommodations during the recruitment process upon request.