Preventive Medicine Techni (Occupational Health Services)
Calian is proud to continue a long-standing contractual relationship with the Department of National Defence (DND) to provide healthcare services to the Canadian Armed Forces. Through the Health Care Provider Contract, Calian employs health care professionals across Canada who are integral to supporting the health and wellbeing of our military members.
About the role:
We currently have 1 Full-time position available at Canadian Forces Base Halifax.
In this unique role, the successful applicant is responsible for all occupational hygiene and safety concerns at CFB Halifax.
The successful applicants will possess specialized expertise, knowledge, and skills in the areas of occupational health, and safety. Their main roles are to develop and deliver programs that will identify health and safety hazards in the work environment and recommending corrective action. They function as part of the healthcare team by performing inspections of DND facilities based on established schedules to monitor compliance with laws, regulations, and policies and preparing reports outlining status and recommended courses of action.
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Conduct occupational health surveys and inspections
• Conduct work site occupational health walk-through, surveillance, and compliance inspections at DND and CF facilities;
• Conduct occupational health survey inspections including: collect samples, interpret and analyze sampling data; liaise with accredited analytical laboratories as well as government and civilian regulatory agencies; and recommend administrative and engineering control measures to ensure workplace compliance with the Canada Labour Code.
• Provide information and recommendations to senior medical authority on occupational health matters including associated legislation, regulations, policies and directives;
• For retired military members you must have received Canadian Armed Forces training to the QL6A level after the year 2000 (if you have training up to QL5, please contact us)
• For civilian applicants, you must have one of the following:
a) Occupational Health and Safety Technologist certification
b) Registered Occupational Hygienist (ROH) or Registered Occupational Hygiene Technologist (ROHT) with the Canadian Registration Board of Occupational Hygienists; or
c) Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) with the American Board of Industrial Hygiene.
In addition to one of the above you must also have the following:
• Unrestricted class G driver's license
• 2 years of work-related experience
Type of assignment:
Clinic Hours: Monday to Friday, 7:30am to 4pm
#GD-JD1Calian values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. Calian is committed to being responsive to the diverse needs of its members, employees, and others, by striving to prevent and remove systemic barriers. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and we welcome applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity or expression and others who may contribute to diversity of our organization. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. We will provide accommodations during the recruitment process upon request.