About the role:
Calian is proud to continue a long-standing contractual relationship with the Department of National Defence (DND) to provide healthcare services to the Canadian Armed Forces. Through the Health Care Provider Contract, Calian employs health care professionals across Canada who are integral to supporting the health and wellbeing of our military members.
Calian is seeking a consultant Ophthalmologist to work in the Specialty Clinic at the Canadian Armed Forces Health Services Centre Ottawa (Montfort Hospital).
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• performing patient assessment and routine ophthalmology examinations such as refractions and intra-ocular pressure
• prescribing corrective lenses and visual therapy
• providing post-surgical follow-up in the Specialty clinic
• providing other follow-up care including reviewing test results done by an ophthalmology technician to evaluate interventions or arranging further consultation from other health care providers
• providing clinical recommendations to the multidisciplinary health care team regarding the impact of the eye condition on person, occupation, and environment related to impairment, restriction, and temporary or permanent limitation
• communicating with Senior Medical Authority on relevant clinical matters such as acute or chronic eye conditions or unusual situations, CF Spectrum of Care, and complex patients requiring multidisciplinary intervention
• providing clinical preceptorship to CF Health Services approved trainees and junior clinicians, such as medical or nursing students, Physician Assistants, medical technicians, and students
• preparing and delivering continuing education sessions twice a year to the health care team related to best practices and providing updates in ophthalmology when warranted
• applying and following established guidelines on CAF Aircrew Visual Requirements provided by the client
• documenting patient encounters and all clinical actions and maintaining the patient health record in a timely fashion in accordance with relevant professional and CAF standards
• Licensed and in good standing with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario
• Specialty certification in Ophthalmology from the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
• Current fellowship with the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
• Minimum of 500 clinical and procedural hours in ophthalmology in the past year, for patients aged 18-60
Type of assignment: Part time contract (4 hours/week)Calian values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. Calian is committed to being responsive to the diverse needs of its members, employees, and others, by striving to prevent and remove systemic barriers. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and we welcome applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity or expression and others who may contribute to diversity of our organization. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. We will provide accommodations during the recruitment process upon request.