About the role:
Calian is proud to continue a long-standing contractual relationship with the Department of National Defence (DND) to provide healthcare services to the Canadian Armed Forces. Through the Health Care Provider Contract, Calian employs health care professionals across Canada who are integral to supporting the health and wellbeing of our military members.
The mental health team at CFB Edmonton is seeking a full time Mental Health Nurse to join the team and provide mental health support to serving members of the Canadian Armed Forces.
Are looking for a rewarding position where you can make a difference?
Join this mental health team and work alongside a mental health team consisting of Psychiatrists, Clinical Psychologists, Mental Health Nurses, Addictions Counsellors, and Clinical Social Workers.
• Collaborative Shared-Care Model
• Motivated Clients
• Time for Administrative Duties
• Range of Presenting Issues
Key Duties Include:
• Conducting bio-psychosocial assessments and developing individualized treatment plans with the Canadian Forces Member
• Providing direct client care and interventions based on the treatment plan consistent with the psychiatric illness and diagnosis in the DSM V
• Monitoring client progress, evaluating the treatment plan, and revising the treatment plan based on the clients’ progress
• Providing supportive counselling using evidence-based practices such as Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, Solution Focused Therapy, Strengths Perspectives, and Motivational Interviewing
• Designing, revising, and providing psycho-educational sessions relaxation training, stress management, and anger management to individuals and groups
• Providing and supporting health education for members, their support networks, and others associated with their care
• Monitoring medications for therapeutic responses and provide client education on medications including purpose, proper administration, intended effects, and side effects
• Providing brief interventions to clients in acute distress and ensure the client has full access to internal and external health care services
• Participating in inter-disciplinary team meetings related to clinical care and service delivery by presenting the clients’ case and providing status updates
• Completing deployment related health activities, such as pre-deployment or enhanced post-deployment interviews
• Providing recommendations to the clients’ primary care provide on employment limitations based on the clinic interpretation of the clients’ health status
• Communicating and liaising with other health care professionals and service agencies such as Veteran’s Affairs Canada and Military Family Resource Centres
• Distributing local outreach material such as Mental Health awareness material to bases and units
To be eligible for this position you must meet the following three requirements:
1. Nursing Diploma or Bachelor Degree in Nursing from a recognized college or university
2. A certificate in Mental Health Nursing or certification in Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing from the Canadian Nursing Association
3. 3 years of post-graduate experience in nursing practice , within the last 5 years, performing a variety of mental health nursing activities with an adult patient population in a community setting
4. Hold a current Registered Nurse license from the provincial college or association in the province of practice
Type of assignment:
Full Time, 37.5 hours per week
Contract to March 31, 2020 with anticipation of extension
Clinic Hours: Monday to Friday, 7:30am to 4pm
Calian values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. Calian is committed to being responsive to the diverse needs of its members, employees, and others, by striving to prevent and remove systemic barriers. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and we welcome applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity or expression and others who may contribute to diversity of our organization. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. We will provide accommodations during the recruitment process upon request.