About the role:
Calian is proud to continue a long-standing contractual relationship with the Department of National Defence (DND) to provide healthcare services to the Canadian Armed Forces. Through the Health Care Provider Contract, Calian employs health care professionals across Canada who are integral to supporting the health and wellbeing of our military members.
The mental health team at CFB Esquimalt in Victoria, British Columbia, is seeking a full time Addictions Counsellor to join the team and provide mental health support to serving members of the Canadian Armed Forces.
Are looking for a rewarding position where you can make a difference?
Join this mental health team and work alongside a mental health team consisting of Psychiatrists, Clinical Psychologists, Mental Health Nurses, Addictions Counsellors, and Clinical Social Workers.
• Collaborative Shared-Care Model
• Motivated Clients
• Time for Administrative Duties
• Range of Presenting Issues
Your Key Duties:
• Assess substance-use disorders, including a differential assessment of concurrent disorders
• Assess process addictions such as pathological gambling, sexual behaviour, and gaming
• Participate in the development of a treatment plan with the patient and the inter-disciplinary health care team to address the patient’s addiction
• Provide therapeutic interventions such as Secondary Substance-Abuse Intervention (SSI) Programs consistent with the established addiction assessment for patients in an individual or group setting
• Evaluate the effectiveness of counselling program, interventions, and patient’s progress in resolving identified problems and movement toward personalized objectives
• Familiarize with other internal or external community services and resources
• Deliver psycho-educational sessions such as addiction-free living
• Must have a Bachelor Degree or Master Degree in Social Work from a recognized university and hold a current membership certificate with the British Columbia College of Social Workers
• Must have a Diploma or Bachelor's Degree in Nursing from a recognized university and hold a current membership certificate with the British Columbia College of Nurses
• Certification as an International Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor (I.C.A.D.C) through the Canadian Addiction Counsellors Certification Association (CACCF)
• 2 years’ post-graduate experience in the following:
• Adult mental healthcare environment
• Addictions treatment services
• Administering addictions assessments using addiction assessment measures, including diagnostic criteria to formulate treatment plans
• Delivering addictions counselling services to adults in individual and group settings through the use of evidence-based modalities such as Cognitive Behaviour Therapy
Type of assignment:
Full Time, Contract until March 31, 2019 with anticipation of extension
Clinic operating hours Monday through Friday, 7:30am or 8am to 4pm
Calian values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. Calian is committed to being responsive to the diverse needs of its members, employees, and others, by striving to prevent and remove systemic barriers. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and we welcome applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity or expression and others who may contribute to diversity of our organization. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. We will provide accommodations during the recruitment process upon request.